The Maryland-DC Society of Addiction Medicine (MDDCSAM) has established this listserv to serve as a peer discussion group. The listserv is intended to provide a forum where members can problem-solve with colleagues, benefit from the experiences of others, solicit the advice of peers, and participate in an ongoing conversation around topics related to addiction medicine. This MDDCSAM listserv is private and only subscribers can receive, send, and/or retrieve messages from/to the listserv. To ensure the best possible experience for all listserv members, MDDCSAM has established basic guidelines for participation. By using an MDDCSAM listserv you agree that you have read and will follow the code of conduct and participation guidelines listed below. MDDCSAM does not actively monitor its listserv for inappropriate postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to MDDCSAM’s attention, MDDCSAM reserves the right to take all appropriate action in response. MDDCSAM reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
How to Join the MDDCSAM Listserv
- Include in your request your name, title, organization, location, email address, and phone number.
How to Unsubscribe from the MDDCSAM Listserv
- You may unsubscribe from a listserv at any time by following the directions at the bottom of the listserv message.
- To temporarily leave the listserv, you must unsubscribe and re-subscribe using the methods above.
- To edit your subscription options, such as change your email address or change the frequency of emails you receive, you may contact MDDCSAM staff, or follow these instructions.
How to Send a Message to the MDDCSAM Listserv
- MDDCSAM listservs are monitored NOT moderated forums. Messages submitted to an MDDCSAM listserv by a subscriber are emailed automatically to all individuals subscribed to the listserv.
- Please add the email address of the MDDCSAM listserv(s) to which you are subscribed to your white list. This will ensure that messages do not get caught in the spam filter. You can do this in Outlook by right-clicking on the listserv email and adding it to the “safe senders list.” If you have a large organization system, or outside spam filter, you may need to talk with your IT department to add this address to the white list there.
Code of Conduct & Legal Rules
- MDDCSAM listservs are for topics related to addiction medicine; any other use of MDDCSAM listservs is prohibited.
- Remember your audience and be mindful of the appropriateness of your posts. Limit messages to those that add value to the discussion.
- Interact with MDDCSAM listserv members in a respectful, professional, and ethical manner.
- Do not make derogatory comments, ridicule, challenge, or attack others. Discussions on the listservs are meant to stimulate conversation, not create contention.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive or illegal materials or language are strictly prohibited.
- Remember that information posted on listservs is available for all to see and that comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws. Do not post anything in a listserv message that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Do not pose questions or participate in discussions relating to salaries, charge, payment rates, prices, pricing strategies, restrictions on advertising, maintaining the profitability of a profession, or industry, terms or conditions of sale, minimizing discounts, gifts or promotions, profits, profit margins, cost data, market share, sales territories, customers or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers. Examples include discussions about managed care payment rates, provider compensation, provider benefits, vendor fees/rates, vendor contract terms.
- Use caution when discussing products or services, and the companies providing such products and services. The information posted on MDDCSAM listservs is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws. However, you may explain your situation regarding products, services and companies while avoiding unflattering labels.
- If you endorse a company, service, or product and have a financial arrangement with the company, you must disclose that financial arrangement as part of your endorsement.
- Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another’s business (e.g. managed care organization), or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: charges, reimbursement rates, prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers (e.g. patients) or territories (e.g. service areas); or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
- MDDCSAM prohibits any individual or organization from promoting a specific product or service for proprietary purposes on an MDDCSAM listserv.
- Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants MDDCSAM and users of listservs the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
- Do not share documents that you do not have authorization to share. It is best to only share documents from your current organization that you have permission to share. You may also consider removing your organization’s identifying information from the document prior to sharing it.
- When asking for assistance and presenting specifics of a situation, do not include information protected under HIPAA.
- Do not use MDDCSAM listservs for any communication that could be construed in any way as support for or opposition to any candidate for a federal, state, or local public office. Federal law providing for MDDCSAM’s tax-exempt status absolutely forbids the use of MDDCSAM resources or facilities, including listserv forums, in any way that would even appear to support or oppose such a political candidate.
- Include a signature tag at the end of each message listing your name, title, organization, email address, and phone number.
- Clearly and concisely type the topic of your comments in the subject field. This allows others to respond more appropriately to your posting. This is particularly important when replying to a listserv posting or when changing the subject.
- When responding to a specific post, put your response before the original post and include enough text from the original message to make clear exactly what post it is you are commenting on.
- When using an Auto Reply message for times you are out of the office, be sure to “Create a Rule” (this is easily done with Microsoft Outlook’s Out of Office Assistant) that would prohibit sending the message to the list.
- Do not forward messages or even segments of messages from the listserv to persons not on the listserv without the explicit permission of the person you are “quoting”.
- Do not send administrative messages to the list such as “Please remove me.”
- Please turn off the read receipt function.
- MDDCSAM accepts no responsibility for the opinions and information posted in the listservs by others. MDDCSAM disclaims all warranties with regard to information posted on the listservs, whether posted by MDDCSAM or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall MDDCSAM be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on the listservs.
- To the extent permitted by law, MDDCSAM disclaims any and all liability with respect to accuracy, completeness, or reliability of any information and/or opinions supplied to or by the listservs and accepts no responsibility for the completeness and/or suitability for use.
- By using MDDCSAM listservs, subscribers agree to indemnify defend and hold harmless MDDCSAM, its committees, and sections, its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, and agents from and against all losses, claims, demands, causes of action, liabilities, expenses, including reasonable attorney’s fees and costs arising from any claims arising out of or resulting from any breach of these guidelines by the user or any omission or act taken by the user.